Completion not Competition
Those of you who know me well know that I am a tad bit competitive. In my soccer days this was totally okay. It is fine to pull someones shirt to get ahead on the soccer field. As a "semi-adult" it is a lot less okay. My competitiveness sometimes comes out in board games specifically Settlers of Catan and Chess. Matt and I actually no longer play chess because I get so into it that I actually get angry at him (I know hard to believe). Well I have to say I have somewhat over come my extreme competitiveness and was able to compete my first half marathon. Confession: I did sprint at the finish and I am up at 7 am checking my time. BUT I didn't push anyone on the course, pull any shirts, or push myself so hard that it wasn't any fun. I'd say this is progress. My self talk of "completion not competition, completion not competition," is very helpful.